Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekly Memo - Brought to you by the number 15

We are just 15 days away from the end of the year. I understand that we are all very excited about the end of the year, but we still have work to do. Please make sure you continue to stress the importance of your children's work to them on a daily basis.

This week, in Literature (1st & 6th Period), we will finish reading "Lose Now, Pay Later" by Carol Farley. This fun little sci-fi story continues our theme of things that are not as they seem to be. When they get home, make sure you ask them to tell you what the story is about. Through-out this week, we will be doing various activities that go with the story.

In my Read 180 classes (2nd & 3rd Period), we will nearly finish up Workshop 4: Stolen Childhood. We will continue both Whole Group and Rotations through-out the rest of this week.

Everyone has their home due this week on Friday, which is Literature Challenge #18. This will be the final homework assignment for the year, so make sure that they complete this before Friday.

This Friday, students who meet certain requirements (passed all 5 subject areas on the CRCT, no Discipline Referrals, no unexcused absences, and no tardies) will get to participate in the CRCT Celebration. With everything that I know about it, it sounds like it will be most enjoyable, and I am very jealous that I won't get to have fun with those deserving students.

Next week is Olympic Week! The three countries are South Korea, Sweden, and the future winning country, Zambia (can you tell which country I am?). My homeroom has been told this, but I'm going to reiterate it on here. Now this only applies to students in my homeroom, but if students have a behavior issue this week, they will be removed from Olympic week events that they signed up for, so if they want to participate, they will have to behave this week. Despite my joke earlier, next week isn't about winning or losing, it's about having fun, and that's what we plan on doing: having fun, so I hope everyone comes with that goal in mind.