Thursday, September 19, 2013

Weekly Memo - Late, Sorry

I know, I know. I'm late.

Sorry. It's been a very busy week.

This week, all of my classes continued with the Read 180 Program. The new students to the program are getting the hang of it, and the veteran students are getting back into the swing of it, so things are moving along very smoothly for all.

I must continue to stress the importance of being well-behaved in class. Several parts of Read 180 are timed, so when I have to stop to deal with discipline matters, it hurts everyone in the class as a result. So please talk to your child in order to insure that they behave appropriately in all their classes.

In my 6th and 7th Grade classes, students read about Freddy Adu, a future soccer phenom who chose to stay in school rather than accept a six figure contract to play professional soccer. Then we found out about Irene Rodriguez, who had difficulties fitting in when she moved from Mexico to Los Angeles. We'll continue with her story as we head in to next week.

In my 8th Grade classes, students read the tragic story of Eric Alverez, who was pressured by his friends to climb on top of a moving subway car, which lead to his death. In our second reading, we start to learn ways to prevent low self-esteem in both themselves and others.

In school news, unfortunately we came up short against Rehobeth in yesterday's football game, although it was a close game, right down to the end.

Next week is Homecoming Week, so if your child asks to wear a crazy hat or dress-up like a nerd, it might just be for Homecoming Week. They were sent a letter home with all the upcoming events next week, which include the Homecoming Game on Wednesday and the Homecoming Dance on Friday.

That's all I have for you this week. I will do my absolute best to get the memo out on time for next week!